FIVE WAYS SELLERS CAN SCARE AWAY BUYERS
- Hang around during showings: Buyers often feel uncomfortable with sellers hanging around during showings. It’s important to give buyers space and let them explore the house without feeling like they’re being watched or rushed. Consider leaving the house during showings or staying in one room and being available if the buyers have any questions.
- Bad smells: One of the easiest ways to turn off potential buyers is by having bad smells in your house during showings. This can include anything from cooking smells to pet odors. It’s important to try and eliminate any sources of bad smells by cleaning thoroughly, airing out the house, and using air fresheners or candles.
- Overpricing the house: Setting an unrealistic asking price for your home that is too high for the current market conditions can be a major turn-off for potential buyers. It’s important to remember that buyers have access to a lot of information and are well-informed about the current real estate trends. Overpricing your house can scare away potential buyers who may perceive your home as unaffordable or not worth the investment. To avoid this, research the market and price your home accordingly to attract buyers and maximize your chances of a successful sale.
- Have family pictures all over the house: While family pictures can make a house feel like a home, having them all over the house during showings can be distracting for potential buyers. It’s important to try and create a neutral environment that allows buyers to envision themselves living in the house. Consider removing personal items and decluttering the space.
- Keep one door in the house locked and put a sign up that says “do not enter”: Locking a door and putting up a sign can make buyers curious about what’s behind the door, and not in a good way. This can create a negative impression of the house and make buyers feel uneasy. Consider unlocking all doors and rooms and allowing buyers to see the entire house.
- Include dolls in listing photos: While dolls may be a cute addition to a child’s room, including them in listing photos can be off-putting for potential buyers. Dolls can make the space feel cluttered and can also be a source of fear for some buyers. Consider removing any dolls or other toys before taking listing photos.